Tuesday, February 24, 2009

School in Honduras


Last Saturday I did plumbing and electrical for school. My dad and I put in a sediment filter so that we could put in a washing machine, but like a lot of things in Honduras you can't fix one thing without breaking another. In the process of cutting the pipe with a sawsall we wiggled loose the top of the pipe that runs up the outside of the house to feed the two bathrooms. So when we turned on the water that runs to up to our house, we got showered with water and all the sludge that had been building up in the pipe. So we turned off the the water and daddy went up and fixed that and accidentally disturbed a wasp's nest so we got a caulking gun and caulked up their hole and that was plumbing.
For electrical, I volunteered to go up in to the ninety degree attic under the tin roof to pull a wire up. (And to build character!) After the wire had been pulled up it had to be threaded down into the bathroom for an outlet for the washer.
And that was electrical.
But through it all, I think I would rather do plumbing and electrical for school than math and writing .

6 comments:

  1. Jonathan!! What a great blog!! I love the green! It reminds me of the leaves that the leaf-cutting ants carry.
    Your dad said you were a great helper, I'm so glad you can be such a big help. I have to say, you were VERY brave to go in the attic - I think I'd rather to math and writing. I also think your blog should count as writing. You did a fine job!
    I miss you and the other kids (your folks too), and I'm praying for all of you.
    Did you teach Bandit any new tricks? I heard he was very happy to see you all!
    Please tell everyone that Steve and I say hello.
    Miss you and love you,
    Carolee & Steve
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jonathan!

    I really like your blog!! Thanks for sharing the story with me! It sounds like a very interesting project! You are a good writer.

    I don't know if you remember me from Riverside or not? But I remember you and I pray for you and your family all the time!

    Stay safe and keep writing your blog! I love it.

    -jayna venturini

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jonathan, What a great blog! I loved reading about what you did. And I am very happy for you to be such a big help to Daddy. It is great that you are learning to do such things. One thing I want to know--did anyone get stung? Where were the wasps? And about the attic--weren't there spiders there? You are very brave! I love you lots, Gran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Job on your blog Jonathan! I really like the green! It's great to read about your adventures and we are looking forward to reading your next post :-)

    We love you ~
    John and Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonathan. I was so happy to find out you started a blog. You have always been a great story teller. So, “in Honduras you can’t fix one thing without breaking another” - did you laugh right away? What could be worse than a sludge shower followed by wasps! So many character building opportunities for you! :-) I’m looking forward to reading future posts. lots of love, Mrs. Truman

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey little brother! I just stumbled across your blog and I"m really excited to hear of your adventures in Honduras. Tell the fam and Jeffrey I said hola!

    ReplyDelete