Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gecko



Place: Trujillo, Honduras, (on the path to the kitchen)
Time: 11:00am
Name: Gecko
Type of Creature: Lizard
Description: A smooth animal, blue-gray color before shedding and tan after, scaly tail.
Comments:I found this gecko and I thought something was wrong with it because it did not run away from me, but really it was just shedding its skin. This made it look like its limbs were coming off! In trying to get a photo of it in my hand, it got scared and its tail broke off. It does that for defense. God created it with a weak spot in the tail which allows it to come off easily. When attacked, the tail breaks off and lays there wiggling like crazy. The predator is distracted by the tail and the gecko gets away. The gecko then grows a new tail. (Sometimes the tail doesn't come off all the way. It still grows a new one and then it has two tails!)

1 comment:

  1. And here is yet another gross creature! You've learned so much about the creature-life in Honduras. Your description has me, once again, wrinkling up my nose and scrunching up my face as I write. I just wouldn't want to see that loose tail wiggling around by itself. Pretty cool that it can do that, though.

    Mrs. Truman

    ReplyDelete